Long Island Power Authority will give you $35 to recycle your old, working refrigerator or freezer. Just as importantly, they will pick it, free of charge, and then recycle it!
If you’re selling your home and have an older second refrigerator in your basement or garage, you definitely should take advantage of this program. I can’t count the number of times that a buyer has requested that the old refrigerator be removed – and the seller has to find someone to haul it out of the basement and take it to the curb. Then the seller has to arrange for the garbage company to remove it. Not only is it one more thing to take care of before the closing – but it’s another expense for the seller.
- $35 to recycle your old, working refrigerator or freezer
- You must be a LIPA residential customer and own the appliance
- Pickup must be at the residential address on your billing account
- Appliance must be 10-30 cu. ft., manufactured prior to 2001, and operating (cooling) at pickup
- Limit of two (2) appliances per year
- Some restrictions may apply
- Your reward of $35 will be mailed to you within 4 weeks after pickup of appliance
Schedule your pickup online
To schedule pickup by phone, call 866-761-2722, Monday through Friday: 7AM – 8PM or Saturday: 9AM – 8PM. For questions regarding your appointment, call Monday through Friday: 10AM – 9PM or Saturday: 10AM – 8PM.
Thinking of Selling? Contact Cheryl Grossman and request a Complimentary Market Value Report for your home. CMA@LIagent.com or 631-223-5849. View All Homes for Sale on Long Island MLS.