Winter weather can be dreary. Liven up your home for buyers with some simple winter staging tips.
1. Manage Snow and Ice. Keep snow and ice off of walkways and driveways. Also shovel a path from the street to the sidewalk. This allows buyers to have easier access to your home and makes the home look like it’s maintained. Consider hiring a service to shovel/salt your driveway and sidewalks if you are away often.
2. Keep Your Home Warm. Heat your home two degrees warmer than usual and then set the thermostat back to normal temperature before a buyer visits your home. The warmer temperature is more welcoming and comfortable, so buyers will stay longer. Heating the house up a little more beforehand and then resetting the thermostat back to normal prevents any potential loud HVAC noise when the heat kicks on.
3. Maximize Natural Light. Clean your windows and keep curtains/blinds wide open to allow more natural light into your home. Try to encourage buyers to view your home during peak daylight hours and not after work when it’s already dark outside.
4. Showcase Your Fireplace. Fireplaces are a selling point. So, make sure nothing is blocking your fireplace and that you have decluttered the mantel. Consider lighting the fireplace before a showing to add ambience, if you will be around and your home won’t be unattended.
5. Add Signs of Spring. Remind buyers that spring is coming! Place green leafy plants and vases of fresh flowers around the house to add color and a natural, pleasing aroma. Bring in soft spring colors (yellows, pinks, pale blues, lavenders) with home accents, such as pillows, linens, towels, and throws. Also, show buyers how the yard will look in the summer by displaying pictures of your landscaping from summer months.
Buyers will leave with pleasant and warm memories of your home – even if it is still cold and dreary outside!