This past weekend carbon monoxide poisoning at Legal Sea Foods Restaurant – Walt Whitman Mall caused one man to die and 27 people to be taken to the hospital.
How devastating. …And how avoidable. NYS does not require a carbon monoxide detector in commercial buildings. The Town of Huntington does require them in all residential housing within the Town stating that one should be installed on every floor in the immediate vicinity of a bedroom and/or sleeping area and/or where a carbon monoxide source is located. If you haven’t installed them in your home – or if the ones you have are older than 6 years – then you need to purchase new detectors now.
Correct installation of the detectors is just as important as the purchase. Information about the proper placement of detectors for your home can be found at HomeSafe.com. To find out more about carbon monoxide poisoning read this article at CDC.gov.