10 Tips for Making Your Bathroom Shine –
1) Declutter – Clean out cabinets and drawers. Clear away personal items – shampoo, razors, and toiletries. Put rubber ducks & kids’ bath toys in a basket and tuck into cabinet or a corner. *
2) Scrub & Clean – Bathrooms must be super clean! Use lime scale remover or caustic soda to remove stains from fixtures. Tiles & fixtures may need to be professionally cleaned, and tiles bleached and regrouted. Make sure shower curtains and towels are clean too.
3) Repair cracks in caulking around sinks and tub as well as leaky faucets and runny toilets. Check sealant around the bathtub, shower and sink – if needed clean or replace. Grubby grout should be removed and regrouted.
4) Replace light switch covers, old outdated towel racks and toilet paper holder. Add new pulls and knobs for the vanity. Replace older curtain/blinds and hardware.
5) Add new faucet – adds a lot of sparkle to the bathroom. Consider replacing old shower curtain with a new water repellant fabric curtain.
6) Paint. One of biggest changes and added investment you can do for the bathroom.
7) Light it up! Replace or add lighting if needed.
8) Replace vanity if necessary – or a new sink can help too.
9) A new mirror can change the way a bathroom looks. A larger one reflects light and makes the bathroom look larger. Take out the old medicine cabinet and cover with a larger decorative mirror.
10) Dress the room – Add some decorative or luxurious toiletries. Buy some fluffy new towels to match the new paint color. Other suggestions – hang a framed print, fill a vase with flowers or a plant and place on the vanity, bathtub ledge or counter. Add a new rug to provide texture and color.
If you find that a simple “spruce-up” job will not suffice – and that is your goal – then keep your renovation costs under control. A mid-range bathroom remodel returns more on your investment than an upscale one when selling your home. If you plan to live in your home longer term – then, of course, you may choose a more upscale and comprehensive renovation to suit your needs and desires. And that is the Joy of owning your own home – the choice is yours.
* No litter boxes in bathrooms. Pet odor is a whole different topic – I’ll address that in another post.
For all your real estate needs, please contact Cheryl Grossman at 631-223-8549 or by email: Cheryl@LIagent.com.